Tuesday, November 17, 2009

WASTED TIME interview


1) Ok who's in WASTED TIME right now?

Earlier in the year, before we recorded the "Futility"LP, we added Alex D to bass and moved Zach to 2nd guitar. Mick's still on other guitar, Brandon's still on drums, and I'm (Mark) still singing. Right.

2) Lemme say im always shocked to find out bands like WASTED TIME coz its hard to listen ,especially todayin America , a band that sounds so "american" since everyone except fews in the States are trying to copy whats come out from the abroad hardcore punk scenes.. im i correct?

Different folks, different strokes really. It's just the style we were trying to play when we started due to digging it and there being a lack of it in our area at the time. We were in Europe this past summer and I thought it sucked that a large amount of the bands over there were biting off the same sound so many bands in America do; that early 80's California sound which is neat and all but it kind of weirded me out. I guess I had too high of hopes going over there expecting to hear bands sound like Inferno (Germany), Indigesti (Italy), or Moderat Livkdation (Sweden) or something. Oh well, again, different folks and different strokes.

3) Whats happening right now in America? I do see there's alot of divisions between the kids but not just from a city to another , its more fragmented - its from to scene to another!. You know "FUCK! if you listen to Casualties you are not allowed there,we listen to Terror!!" or " Man we cant go along,we listen to Doom,you listen to Minor Threat they sucks!!" and stuff..shit by the way

While I cannot speak for all of America, I can see it somewhat in Richmond. You never really see a band like Government Warning play with Down to Nothing. It is what it is, I have friends that are strongly set and into both sides of the spectrum and just like their shit. I listen to what I dig and it's cool, yo.

4) Still i do see ALOT of bands coming out with sponsors for their instruments , sponsors from their label,sponsors even for every shit they do...Fuck em all,who need that kind of promotion if they sound all the same,aint i right? You can see this thing just clicking on their myspace - just ads for a product to sell but no substance for what concerns the music and,more important, the message! What do you think about em?

I bet getting free shit is cool, otherwise I can't really relate nor would I personally wanna put forth the effort to whore myself out into such a thing. We are not career-core, nah mean?



5) Name you personal top five of best bands you ever listen to - not only americans and not only hardcore and punk bands!

My list changes daily, but I'd say Poison Idea, Leatherface , The Wedding Present, Cause For Alarm, and Meatbrick and The Jailbirds.

6) Do you think the internet have "damaged" someway the creative edge of the bands? I mean,its extremly hard to find a band able to be personal and at the sime time record music also aable to inspire their contemporaries.Right now,i highly doubt someone else will ever record another "The Kids Wll Have Their Say" (SSD of course) or another "Age Of Quarrel" just to name a monolith for what concerns american hardcore punk.The high freedom that the web had to offer seems to have bizzarly,limited the creativity of lots of musicians - the more is the choice of tastes you get,the more generic sound the mixing of it all togheter... (fucking long question,i do know,hahaha hope to have been clear enough!)

Personally, and as for the rest of the members of WT, we got into hardcore before the internet really took such a strong hold on things so it isn't too big of a deal to us. Everything is easier now for sure, which is cool but it also takes the personality out of it all I guess. It's a double edged sword, but I'm not too worried about it. It has definitely led to way too many bands existing though. I'd prefer quality over quantity any day. I'll take good bands that write good records over some retards with recording gadgets on their computers and songs they wrote in 2 minutes any day.


7) Time for the --- RANDOM QUESTION ! : Why hardcore kids shouldn't be rich scumbags with nothing to do?

"Do what you want, but just don't do it to me" -Choke. Or something like that, I think I'm high?

8) How do you guys find out to be part of hardcore? life changing LPs or 7"s?

Fight, fuck, cokedust. And "Epic" by Faith No More. And Misfits - all.

9) Anything you want to add?

Thanks for the interview. I notice you're from NYC, or at least that's what the Myspace thing says. Just heard about Angry Stuart, RIP. It will be different going to a show up there and not seeing him again. Rest in Power. Ian Dickson, love you.


No comments: